Race Between Humans And Automation, Who Will Win
Race between Humans and Automation, who will win?
Technological advancement and rapid automation have raged a non-conclusive debate everywhere whether humans will be obsolete because of increasing automation. Rapid enhancement in field of artificial intelligence has further fanned the burning flame. Now, a large fraction of population is not considering “Technological Singularity” or “AI Takeover” as just hypothetical concept for Sci-Fi movies, but is anxious about the future of human race. Let’s discuss why humans will be always needed?
1. Technological advancement itself generates new domain for human employment:
It can’t be denied that automation replaces humans, but further can’t justify obsolesce. Machines are applicable where there are comparative advantages, but can’t do human task. Looking at a broad level, technological advancements have created more domains for humans than what it has acquired that makes the whole debate topic a void. Take an instance of bank where ATM has smartly taken over work of a teller, Auto-deposit and withdrawals are now smart cashier. There are many new technological advancement like anywhere banking, net banking, self service Kiosk, etc, but still banks require man-power to run it. Automation has not only eased human tasks, but also has increased productivity and produced new domains for employing humans. Moreover, to build, to program, to operate and to invent, humans are essentially required.
2. Limited Space to apply AI and machines: The idea of technological singularity involves concept of application of AI and machines to every possible field, that itself make the overall idea-a hypothetical one. While machines enabled with AI can perform a given task in more efficient way than humans, what it lacks is the artistry in activity, creativity, human emotions and cognitive approach to cater the needs of an individual. Moreover, deploying high technological advanced robots require a huge capital investment that makes them infeasible for large number of human tasks. It means automization at every place is not feasible.
3. Only humans have emotions:
Think of the emotional behaviour of humans which is impossible to program in any machines. Emotions differs from person to person, situation to situations and depends on many unidentifiable factors. A woman has different emotions for her own son in comparison to that of another. So with AI and machines, a human-like robot may do various tasks but lacks emotions that are required to pamper and handle a kid. It may entertain him, alarm his mother on basis of programmed algorithms about any issue, can monitor the activities, but can’t love and take care in the same way that his mother or nanny can do.
4. Machines are better for identical behaviour , humans have different approaches. Machines are more efficient for any identical or repetitive work, but can only do the tasks for which they are programmed. If robots are the future, then we will stop growing and remain at a same state as robots can’t think in different way than what it is programmed for while humans can have different approaches, thoughts and beliefs. Robots can produce precise data pr results, but can’t utilize them for any non-defined applications while human can think beyond the horizon that leads to more inventions and discovery. For Research and development, humans will be always required.
5. Humans can think, learn and customize:
Whatever technological advancement may happen, AI enabled robots can never think. What is called artificial intelligence is actually set of precisely defined algorithms to simulate human intelligence processes. It means artificial intelligence have certain constraints that disable it to perform undefined tasks, own customization and cognitive learning while human brains are enabled to do these tasks as well.
So the question of winning the race is answered with the fact that it’s the human who can develop, rule, govern and customize the world along with all related things. Machines are for human aid, can never replace the race.